Sunday 26 September 2010

Giles Miller

I've always been impressed by the sheer strength and beauty of corrugated cardboard and paper since I went to a furniture design exhibition about a year ago which exhibited seats and stools made out of this wonderful material. I have since discovered the product designer Giles Miller who admits to "falling in love" with the material. Miller both designs new products and creates large scale cardboard instalations for projects, displays and exhibitions. He has worked for Stella McCartney installing her a pop-up shop in Paris and London to display her new fashion designs. The corrugated cardboard creates such a lovely visual and tactile texture which compliments those same qualities in clothes.

When the strap broke of his laptop shoulder bag he was carrying damaging his computer inside he began experimenting with making a laptop bag from cardboard. After alternating the direction of the corrugation he constructed something that could take the force of the blow. Although I'm not sure I would quite trust cardboard to protect my beautiful Apple Mac I still think this is a beautiful piece of product design which hopefully will inspire other designers to start using materials that can be recycled easily. Its about time we started to exploit unlikely, unappreciated materials, because I suppose you never know what you might create or discover.



No comments:

Post a Comment