Thursday 30 September 2010

Cycle safe

While browsing for cause related marketing I found this little gem:


In 2007, 21 cyclists in London died because they weren’t seen by drivers. This simple but very effective ad campaign shows how a small-budget of £600,000 reduced deaths on London’s roads by a third. Before moving to Leeds 4 years ago, I had always lived in London and although I love cycling it just was not something I ever felt that safe doing around the centre of London.

I think this ad is great because it doesn't scare cyclists with shocking imagery or all the horrible scenarios that could happen on the roads, discouraging them from riding, nor does it place blame for accidents that have happened. It very simply demonstrates how easy it is to 'look but not see', catching the attention of even those that think themselves very careful drivers.

I feel this campaign is so much more effective than those in the past because it has moved away from the traditional shock tactic strategy and instead tried to actually understand what is causing these accidents. The viewer interacts and plays with the advert making it memorable and something to talk about. So many agencies just want to design the most shocking advert or chilling campaign yet but this idea gets straight to the point without making you never want to leave the comfort of your living room ever again.


1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant. A simplistic, honest approach can capture the audiences attention so well because it has the personal touch. Watching the ad you feel like you are taking part because you want to, not being forced into a pushy campaign that is intimidating. A common advertising response to sensitive issues is guilt for the people involved, but here I feel like I have been made to feel stupid by not spotting the obvious; they have made me the focus and because of that I feel I am now more aware of the problem. Interesting tactics, a real insight into alternative ways to reach an audience. It's something I will definitely research further for use in my own work.

    ReplyDelete