Wednesday 15 September 2010

Does anyone NOT want to be/ be with Audrey Tautou?

Surprising to some I actually like french humor, but over-riding that I LOVE Audrey Tautou and almost every film she's been in. So a couple of weeks ago I wondered down to the Uni library to see if there was a french film I would like to watch, and I found "Priceless". Excitedly I rushed home to watch it, only to discover that there were no subtitles! Ah well, I had nothing else on and I watched it anyway.

To my own astonishment I think I followed the plot pretty well saying that I only have a handful of french holidays and a GCSE under my belt...

The movies deals with the two French favorites (no not baguettes and berets), sex and fashion. Audrey Tautou plays the role of a beautiful gold digger, attaching herself to wealthy men so she can live the high-life through their wallets. She however mistakes a waiter at a hotel bar for being a high roller and the next provider of Chanel dresses and expensive jewellery. He of course doesn't let on that he's just a waiter so he can spend time with this beautiful woman and ends up completely bankrupt. He however, then inadvertently becomes the object of affection for an older widow who soon foots the bills for a fancy hotel room and a new wardrobe. Tautou then begins instructing him in the ways of her world...

No it's not the best movie ever made but I like its Breakfast at Tiffanys' style and the relentlessness of Tautous character. Women are portrayed so often as fluffy and soft, desiring love at first sight and falling for any man with a bit of charm. Tautous' character is far from from the kind and shy women she normally plays and is strong, cheeky and care-free. I really enjoyed watching her take on a more seductive, manipulative character and I think she did it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment